Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dreaming of Montreal

Still no news from Montreal International, but we're hopeful that information will find its way to us soon.  Caspian took a test to apply for a really dynamic and neat position in his company, and it was brilliantly written and backed by a whole lot of passion (not to mention some neat concept art by one of his best friends).  I probably shouldn't be as optimistic about his chances as I am, but hey, optimism is fun!  Despite my moods, I consider myself to be a pretty optimistic person.

In addition to local news, the New York Times, occasional forays to CNN, PolicyWatch, the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune, I've started reading the Montreal Gazette to learn more about the political and social environment there.  Looks like the heat wave that has gripped SE USA is plaguing Quebec as well, but on a smaller scale.  I'm comforted to hear that it does indeed get up to 90 degrees in Montreal...  But the thought of winter is pretty terrifying to me.  I guess if I have all the right clothes...

I have several books going right now, a couple of which I've already read.

Currently Reading:

Kushiel's Dart, by Jacqueline Carey - Probably one of my favorite books/series of all time.  The passionate, sexy, brilliant and dynamic story of a very unique courtesan and how she changes a world.

Sabriel, by Garth Nix - The first of the Abhorsen trilogy, it's the story of a young necromancer and her fight to save her father from an unknown fate.  A compelling universe with fascinating characters, and one of my most favorite books.  Another interesting, flawed heroine.

Walden, by Thoreau - An old classic detailing Thoreau's sustainable, responsible, purposeful existence in a small cabin at the edge of a pond.  His dated prose can be both ponderous and poetic.

Buddhist Scriptures, Edward Conze, ed. - A survey and an introduction to important Buddhist writings.  I really need to pick this one up again, I got a bit frustrated with the male centrism.

Books I Intend to Read:

Linguistics, Adrian Akmajian et al. - I have this weighty tome waiting on my shelf and I haven't been able to forego my favorites to start relearning about one of my passions.  Probably a prudent read now that I'm about to be forced (happily) to learn Quebecois!

Quebecois Dictionary and Phrasebook, Renata Isajlovic - One of they very few I could find that wasn't for rookies or basically a children's book.  We'll see how it performs when it arrives in a few days.

Berlitz Self-Teacher:  French, Berlitz editors - An older French textbook and very substantial, from what I read in the reviews before purchasing it used.  While I'm a veteran language-learner, I haven't spent much time at all studying romance languages (does Latin count?) and should probably begin at the beginning.  I don't think I'll have a huge problem with grammar or writing, but pronunciation, on the other hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment