Thursday, November 4, 2010

Recovering with Style

I had my first clinical observation today; this is when an experienced teacher listens in on a private lesson and grades an instructor on his or her achievement of a detailed set of objectives.  We tried to do it yesterday but failed because of technical problems, and then again earlier this morning because of technical problems on the learner's end - and then succeeded.  Really succeeded, with a client who terrifies me with her efficiency and no-nonsense attitude.  Refuses to divulge personal information.  Grammar exercises and discussions only, with contextually-related vocabulary that I have to come up with on the fly.

And it went so beautifully!  So, I'm not making a million bucks.  But others have judged me to be a good teacher, and I feel like I'm finally earning money instead of just making it [appear out of nowhere].  Maybe some people would like the latter, but I much prefer the former.  Maybe I'm not directly applying the knowledge I learned in grad school or doing policy analyses for the government - or more realistically, sitting in a cubicle and goldbricking so that my co-workers don't have to move at my naturally quick pace.  But every hour I spend doing this job, I'm entertained and challenged.  I have to be in control at all times, an excellent communicator, and a grammarian capable of astutely and graciously correcting the use of extremely technical language by people with multiple PhDs.  Every hour flies by, and I feel thrilled when I close a successful lesson.

If I do this for any period of time, I will benefit in a whole host of ways.  I'm already benefiting.  I think I dismiss the usefulness of this work and the demand for it, and I do it because I was socialized to want more power, more money, more underlings.  Fancier baubles on my shinier desk.  Uh.  I think I'd rather have fun meeting people from around the world and helping them communicate better.  For now.

R and I had a remarkable 1.5-hour lesson this afternoon - chacha, samba and waltz.  Pierre said a really great thing to me that I want to remember.  I was samba-ing and completely screwed up, but managed to invent a little spin and a flourish and recover in time for the next set of voltas.  I was laughing and apologizing afterward, but Pierre said to me in some seriousness, "Dancing well - and living well - is not about making no mistakes...  It's about recovering from them with STYLE."

No comments:

Post a Comment