This is my desk of a morning. It lives in the "sitting room" of our apartment, a little niche in the foyer where there are two closets, a bookshelf, and a nice warm heater. I actually have two heaters set up in my little office for extra toastiness. I either sit at my desk to work, or pace around the apartment along certain patterns in the floor. My thoughts are much more coherent when I'm pacing and speaking simultaneously. I use a keyboard so I don't wear out the one on the netbook - which is more powerful than any other computer I've ever owned, with a 220 GB hard drive.
Here's my schedule for today and yesterday - not a thing, other than work and working out... Which are both tracked on completely separate calendars. I use MS Works calendar for weightlifting and cardio data, and my work schedule is on my company's website, which I can access through the software I use to track students' progress, assignments and areas of success/improvement. My real-life calendar, the one you see here, is where I track and plan everything else. I think I actually feel real affection for it.
Participating in the battle for the coolest stuff is futile and neverending. I'm usually practical and quick to buy items that are low-priced, generic and convenient... But it's still the little, beautiful, cherished and carefully-chosen things that make life sparkle. This is a handmade lampwork bead fashioned out of Murano glass and strung with Swarovski crystals to make a zipper pull for my schedule. Most of my possessions are simple, worn and mismatched - although I have a few treasures around... But I will never skimp on art!
I bought this fabric yesterday at Colabrijai while chatting with some of the premier clothing designers in Montréal! They were haggling with the shop owner over prices of fabrics, and I learned that fancy cottons and aubergine are the fabrics and color of the season, apparently. I bought three kinds of slinky synthetic knit in black (which will become flowing dance pants), smoke (will probably become a tunic) and a deep sparkling blue/black - which will hopefully become a syllabus Latin costume. Excitement! I spent $25 on 6 meters total.
These patterns were purchased today... At 1.99 CAD each! My favorite French fabric store was having a sale for all members, and I spent $15 total on 8 patterns that originally ranged from $8.49 to $16.99 apiece. Inspiration acquired! This will keep me busy for a couple months, at least. The dress pattern on the top right will be used to make a standard gown; instead of using cotton or pique and boning, I will use all slinky synthetics and chiffon, which makes the boning unnecessary, as it will be very close-fitting and stretchy. It has an open back and a halter top. I am mentally squeeing so loudly right now, guys.
And finally, my sewing machine, which is becoming fuzzy and needs a cleaning. I finished this knit top, which will probably be used for dance practice, since it's both comfy and elegant. Some peeps dance in t-shirts and sweatpants, but honestly, I feel more graceful when I wear graceful clothes. Especially if string quartets are going to watch during the last few minutes of practice.






No comments:
Post a Comment