It's my birthday today. I'm 30 years old! It's bizarre. Never, in my youth (I'm still "so young" according to my mother), did I ever envision myself at 30. Probably because it's a rather unromantic age, according to the media. Fuck the media. I have accomplished so many things!
On Saturday, Caspian presented me with a gorgeous and thoughtful present, a Syphon vacuum coffee maker. He even bought an Italian butane burner, and the whole set is just beautiful. It's chromed steel and Yama glass. I feel like a stylish chemist whenever I make coffee. My parents sent me the most beautiful coat I have ever seen. It probably cost several hundred dollars, and it's gray shot through with gold. I really should take a picture because it's marvelous, knee-length with filigreed bronze buttons, military-esque but very feminine, with two pleats at the waist in back and a double collar. It's luxurious to have beautiful, high-quality and unusual things.
And, probably the best birthday present, I received my final grade for the first part (of five) of Intensive French last night... An A. My money didn't go to waste, I didn't miss a single hour of class, I studied and mastered every principle, I received 95% + on every project and test. My teacher, J, hugged me so tightly when I turned in my final exam.
I am so relieved to be 30. Relieved! I feel like I've finally started to outgrow all of the silly obsessions of The 20s, the empty rat race of wearing slutty clothes that one doesn't actually like to compete with one's peers and impress males. Bah, no more stupid competitions that have nothing to do with reality, intelligence or skill. The fashion race that only the rich 40 and 50-year-olds can actually afford to win. I told Caspian last night that there's only one objective left: To feel beautiful.
At 30, I am probably 12 or 14 lbs. slimmer than I was at 18. Smarter, stronger, better, faster. Aware of my needs and wants. Educated and well-read. Married to a beautiful, talented, extremely intelligent and attentive mate. Possessing diverse and true friends. All of the silly obstacles of early adulthood are out of the way; the only direction left to go is up!
I like this post very much. And I wholeheartedly agree. Bisous!
ReplyDelete-rh
Happy Birthday! And your post seemed very enlightened...I hope that I can reach 30 as gracefully as you have!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for an excellent year.