Friday, October 7, 2011

Lacking Sparkle? What?

Who knew I'd be going back for yet more graduate school, and in French of all things.  I am completely jazzed.  My supporting documents were submitted on Tuesday and accepted, and I paid my tuition this morning.  It's really happening.  It will mark my eighth year of higher education, my third year of post-baccalaureate studies and my fourth university diploma.

I'm pretty much terrified, too.  A new, gigantic university in the middle of a big, liberal city, full of irritating young college students on their first forays away from home and rules.  I have no patience with 'em.  I'm also quite a hypochondriac, which will be another big thing to overcome.  And then there's the whole "talking in French" thing.  My ear is pretty good after living here for a year, but I am so shy about speaking.  And about my American accent, which Felix assures me is "soft" and "cute."  I dunno about that!

I'm also terrified of starting school in mid-January.  That's the month it gets down to -40 C and F (they are the same at this particularly dismal point).  It snows and snows and snows some more.  McGill University isn't far, but it's not so close, either.  My boots will get a workout, I'm sure.

Last Saturday, I complained that my life lacked sparkle.  With these showdances on the horizon and my imminent trilingualism (with some hard work, of course) pending, I am adequately satisfied...  For this week. Heh.  The only thing that would make my fall/winter better would be a) some candy corns and b) the acceptance of my book for publication.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you'll be a student right by where I live. We can go have coffee (read: wine)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! Can I come chill with you over lunch breaks sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with school!

    Candy corn makes everything better. I've eaten three bags already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't find it anywhere in Quebec! Such a shame. :\

    ReplyDelete