Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Fabled Jumping Pot of Ville-Marie

After a jog and my chores, I headed out to the mall with my iPod in my pocket to buy a stock pot to make beef stew in.  We have the beef and the veggies, but we lack a pot big enough and I didn't find one yesterday during my travels.

I looked at the selection of pots, chose one, and took it (and a butter dish) to the checkout line.  I was totally jamming to my music, standing there idly, when the pot suddenly jumps out of my hands and hits the floor with a tremendous racket.  I winced, picked it up, dusted it off, and no harm done.  Got a couple stares, but nobody yelled expletives at me or burst into tears, so I was quite unfazed.

Finally it was my turn.  The cashier said bonjour, took my pot, scanned it, and immediately dropped it and the lid, which bounced off of each other multiple times before coming to rest on the floor.  I picked them up sheepishly while the little old lady next in line snickered at me behind the gigantic pile of sponges she was holding.  They were unharmed, so we bagged them and I left.

I headed to the grocery store (which is inside the mall) to buy buillon de boeuf and some milk.  The cashier scanned my items and put them in a bag while the bagger guy took my big bag containing the pot (which contained the butter dish) while I situated my wallet, purse and grocery bag.  Without warning, the bag leapt from his hands, scattering the pot and the butter dish far and wide and sending the lid flying at least 10 feet!  We retrieved the pieces and returned them to their bag, making sure there were no dents and no holes in the bag.  I left the grocery store, but the pot managed to wallop itself on a metal post with a clang as I walked away.  I spanked its steel bottom through the bag.

Groceries and other items in tow, I reinserted my headphones and turned up the dubstep.  I sauntered casually and quite cutely (I thought) through the mall, almost making it to the door to the outside, when that obstreperous pot flitted from me and hit an old lady pushing a walker smack in the butt!  Unable to contain myself, I burst out laughing and she glared at me with the considerable power of a venerable elder.  I wilted a little bit, but kept my smirk on all the way home.  The pot now sits on the stove, waiting to make stew!

No comments:

Post a Comment