Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Peri"pathetic..." Or not?

There is an itinerant who has been sitting just outside the gates to McGill University for the last few weeks.  Whenever I walk down rue Sherbrooke, he's there, perched on his neatly-rolled tarp under a scaffold, gazing north.  He has blue, blue eyes and red, wind-chapped cheeks.  He is immaculately clean, and his space tidy.  His shoes and clothes are worn and patched, but well-maintained.  He has no cup or hat to advertise his desire for offerings.  His expression is alert with a hint of desolate.  Our gazes have crossed three jarring times, and each time he looked at me...  Not without interest, but completely without plea.  Without expectation.  With zenlike patience that I can't understand, not knowing that the ladies passing with their Dior bags, fur muffs and clicking heels don't see him - can't see him.

He fascinates me.

It's because he's not like the others, the ones who follow me or jump out into my face with leathery, outstretched hands and eye-wateringly alcoholic breath, chanting "change, change, change..."  Others that I encounter during my morning commute who sprawl snoring beside the trottoir, one hand clenched around a bottle and the other lying beside a cardboard sign that could read anything from "traveling home" to "too ugly for prostitution" and even "need a joint."  And those who pass me with the rage in their eyes that I can [theoretically] understand, the ones who terrify me the most because I would be like them.

What can I do directly for them that won't put both of us in worse situations?

Why, why why, any of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment