Monday, March 28, 2011

An R-Rated Post (by American Standards)

I thought I could be happy in almost any company.  But can't stand being around groups of young men.  Or maybe certain groups of young men?  It's depressing.

I may take pleasure in learning the foulest Québecois expletives and using them at opportune moments to make P crack up.  I don't begrudge a few choice vulgarities and keenly appreciate it when they are used with flair.  So I don't have the cleanest mouth, but variations on "fuck" are not universal adverbs/adjectives/verbs.  It's not a substitute for "um."

Have you ever paid attention to what they talk about?  Whether they are married or single, more often than not, porn, sex, anatomy and biological functions feature in dumb ways.  Yes, dumb!  I won't use a more colorful word.  There's no subtlety, there's no art, not even anything brashly erotic; it's just a race to see who can piss everybody off first, who can utter the most non-PC racist joke, who can shock the others to their breaking points by insulting their wives and girlfriends.  There must be some sort of dubious pleasure to be had in this kind of interaction, but it drags me down.  All I notice is the dirt and the shit and piss in the world when I listen to them.

On a related but more amusing note, Felix botched our double outside spin followed by two open reverse pivots (or something) one too many times during practice on Sunday morning and said hotly, "OH my damn FUCK of pivot!  Son of bitch!"  I chortled.  Later, he asked me, "So, how do I say "damn fucking of pivot shit" without sounding like son of bitch?  See, in French I might say %&pivot#* or #%&!pivot, or maybe even &pivot%#@!@! [all of which sounded like poetry to me]...?"

I really couldn't come up with anything other than the understated "darn," uttered with an ironic flair?  Expletives become jokes if you don't say them juuuuust right.

2 comments:

  1. I had a discussion the other day with another young dance couple-friends about cussing. One was Russian, and couldn't cuss very well. The other was just a little socially inept and didn't really know how to cuss either. Jon and I (okay maybe just me), however, are a couple of sailors. Having someone place a few choice cusswords makes me feel more comfortable around them. :)

    <3,
    rh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way - the key word being "choice." And it's always fascinating to hear passionate, fluent cursing in another language; you should encourage the Russian one to start cussing in Russian. ;) Felix swears beautifully!

    ReplyDelete